Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Phone Call Part III ~Face to Face~

ELENA


The doorbell was chiming incessantly and she rose to answer its call. Imperiously, she beckoned him to come inside. . “Elena we can work this out, Cynthia had no right to call you,” he said briskly, as he began removing his coat. “No right? Your WIFE has every right! And you can keep that on. You won’t be staying long,” she snapped.
“Leni Honey, I know you don’t want me to go, I’m starting divorce proceedings as soon as the baby is born. Then it will be just the two of us,” he cajoled.

He sensed her weakening and gathered her up into his arms. Gently stroking her hair, he whispered sweet assurances in her ear. But she was drowning in empty promises and she felt the first silky threads, which had tied her so helplessly to Danny, begin to fray and snap. Tilting her head back, he gave her a brilliant smile and lazily traced his finger along her brow. She went rigid and pushed him away, turning her back to him, shoulders quaking with emotion.
Leni Baby, don’t cry he said softly. Wiping the tears from her eyes as she spun to face him. Trying desperately to squash the waves of laughter floating to her lips. “What the hell is so funny?” he asked incredulously. “You Danny,” she giggled. “I’ve been such a damn idiot! Go home to your wife,” she said wearily. “Come now, Elena you don’t mean it,” he persuaded. “Oh, it has been one hell of a ride, but I mean every word. I’m over you!” she proclaimed.


“You’re going to miss me,” he said angrily, as he strode to the front door. She gazed at him with clear gray eyes, as if seeing him for the first time. “I don’t think so,” she said softly. The door slammed shut and he was gone.


copyright Sherry Obsheatz

4 comments:

goatman said...

"Good riddance" I would say. I don't know why it is so hard for people to separate from disappointment and neglect!
I like your blog. The colors are nice and I can see that you put a lot of effort in to the effect. Almost makes me want to deviate from my blue.

Raffy Jay said...

Sometimes someone has to take the first step to get rid of these mistakes.

Beatrice V said...

Short and sweet:) White Rose, the concept of a story through the phone call (or emails now?) is compulsive and addictive. I just want her to take that bastard back, so that I can listen in to antoher phone call, it is voyeuristic, or should that be an audio-peeping tom? Will tear myself away from the phone to look at rest of the blog..

Stacey said...

Hi White Rose..we think alike!
Dont let the door hit him on the way out....(lol)
She should not settle for second best ;-)